The State of Your Cooperative

Northern Lights 82nd annual meeting consisted of entertainment, refreshments, giveaways and member camaraderie. The business meeting was a great success!

Check out the pictures and article on pages 4 and 5 of this Ruralite issue. Thanks to all the members who made the effort to attend. For those of you not able to be there, we missed you. Let me highlight what was discussed at the meeting.

NLI Director G.E. “Butch” Hagen, District 6, was opposed by Dave Anderson and Sage Dixon. Dave was elected as director of District 6. Director Steve Elgar, District 3, ran unopposed. Congratulations, Steve and Dave.

I would also like to thank Butch for his 18 years of service on the NLI Board of Directors. He has been a true asset to the co-op. His knowledge and dedication were invaluable.

You will find a summary of your cooperative’s 2016 financial statements on pages 28 and 29. NLI continues to be in a healthy financial position. The members’ ownership in the cooperative grew by approximately $2 million in 2016. New services are still increasing, with 330 completed in the last year. In December 2016, $1.2 million in capital credits were returned for the retirement of 1986 and half of 1987.

We are six years into our long-term power supply contract with the Bonneville Power Administration. Northern Lights buys 90 percent of our power from BPA. The other 10 percent we generate at our Lake Creek Hydroelectric Dam in Troy, Montana. In 2016, the dam produced 31 million kilowatt-hours of energy —our second largest year for generation. The dam provides our lowest cost of power, which helps keep your rates low.

Every year, maintaining our electrical system is a priority for the NLI Board of Directors. In 2016, we replaced more than 215 poles, 52,000 feet of old underground cable and trimmed 145 miles of tree line. As we enter June, I hope you are enjoying the warmer weather, have your gardens planted and are looking forward to a great summer. To all the dads out there, Happy Father’s Day!

Annie Terracciano
General Manager