The Northern Lights, Inc. (NLI) Board of Directors must meet the qualifications outlined in NLI’s Bylaws, be able to invest a minimum of 60 days per year on board-related activities and be able to periodically attend conferences and director training. Directors should also have strong business acumen and a broad understanding of regional and national energy issues.
NLI’s Board of Directors is elected by the members to safeguard the interests of a cooperative with annual revenues of more than $33 million, in a complex, ever-changing industry, with 60 employees, whose safety and development are a primary factor in meeting its mission of providing exceptional service and reliable power at competitive rates.
Do Directors travel?
In addition to regular monthly board meetings, directors are required to attend special board meetings as well as state, regional, and national meetings concerning the electric utility industry. There are meetings to keep the directors abreast of the happenings within the state, region, and nation concerning electric utilities. Travel may also occur for continuing education classes.
How much time is required of a Director?
Regular and special board meetings each require approximately five to eight hours. Educational, national and regional meetings vary in length from one to five days. Directors are expected to spend time reading publications that they receive.
Directors make decisions that directly affect members of the cooperative. It is extremely important that they make decisions with the best information and knowledge possible.
There are seven directors and geographical districts within the cooperative’s service boundaries. Directors represent all members of the cooperative though they are chosen from a specific district. Directors are elected for four-year terms, rotating the terms for the seven districts. Elections are held at NLI’s Annual Meeting.
Who is eligible to become a Director?
To qualify you must:
- Be a member of the cooperative in good standing at least eighteen (18) years or older
- Maintain your primary residence within the geographical district you wish to be a director in
- Not be employed by or financially interested in a competing enterprise or business selling electricity or supplies to the cooperative
Refer to Article IV Sec 4.02 of the NLI Articles and Bylaws for specific details.
At the 2019 Northern Lights Annual Meeting members will elect board members for Districts 1, 5 and 7. The annual meeting is Saturday, May 11, 2019 at the Panida Theater.
In order to qualify to be on the ballot for 2019 the following materials must be completed and returned to the NLI office by March 11, 2019:
- A completed a Declaration of Director Candidate Form
- A Member Petition Nomination Form signed by at least 50 members in your district. Keep in mind a married couple only counts as one member. It is always a good idea to get extra signatures in case some are invalidated.
- Short biography and a current photo. This information will be provided to members on the mail-in ballot sent to members in each district.
Interested members are encouraged to attend the Board Candidate Orientation on Monday, February 25, 2019 at 11:30 a.m. at Northern Lights, Inc. If you plan on attending, please call or email us.
Who Do I Contact if I Have Questions?
If you have other questions about which district you are in, how the election process works, or if you are interested in attending our monthly board meeting, please call or email us.