2019 MECA Memorial Scholarships Available to NLI Montana Students
The Montana Electric Cooperative Association (MECA) will award (1) one $500 scholarship to a deserving student in MECA’S Northwest District, who will be attending college in the fall of 2019. This scholarship is funded by individual contributions to the Memorial Scholarship Program. MECA’s Members Services Committee will select the scholarship finalist.
To apply for the scholarship, applicants, parents or guardians must be a resident of Montana and a member of Northern Lights (NLI). All applications must be returned to Northern Lights, PO Box 269, Sagle, ID 83860.
Applicants need to return their signed application form, school transcripts, ACT/SAT scores, list of school/community activities, essay/personal statement and a letter of recommendation by January 25, 2019.
The NLI Board of Directors will review the applications and select one finalist to be judged by the MECA Committee.
Breakdown of scoring criteria are:
- Academic strength — 20%
- Activities/honors — 20%
- Employment/volunteerism/community — 20%
- Personal Statement — 40%
- The applicants or parent/guardian MUST be a resident of Montana and a member of NLI.
- The applicant must be either a graduating high school senior entering his/her freshman year in college or vocational technical training institution, or a student entering another year of undergraduate schooling. Those students seeking a master’s degree are not eligible.
- The scholarship may be used at a Montana college/university of vocational technical school, or an out of state institution.
- All applications must be submitted to NLI and postmarked no later than January 25, 2019. The NLI Board will select a finalist and will submit that application to the MECA Scholarship Committee for review. The Committee will select the one (1) scholarship recipient from a list of finalists.
- A scholarship certificate announcing the award will be presented to recipients in May, in time for recognition during graduation ceremonies, if applicable. Scholarship funds will not be disbursed until proof of enrollment in the college/university or vocational technical school is received by MECA. Once proof of enrollment is received, the money will be sent directly to the financial aid office of the chosen school. Scholarships must be claimed by December 31, 2019, or the money will be forfeited.