Call Before You Dig
Digging may seem like no big deal, but regardless of where you live or conduct your business, the gas, electric, cable, water, and sewer lines that serve you, may very likely be underground. It doesn’t matter how deep you plan to dig, we urge you to call 811 first because hidden dangers could be just beneath the surface.
If you’re planning a project that requires digging, state law requires you to notify 811 at least two working days in advance in Idaho and Washington, and three working days in advance in Montana. They’ll come to the location that you’d like excavated to mark the buried utilities on your property. Whether you are planning to do it yourself or hire a professional, smart digging means calling 811 before each job. “It’s Free, It’s Easy, It’s the Law”
Ready to dig? Let us help you do it safely!
At the excavation site:
- Clearly mark the site to be excavated with white paint or white ribbons
- Privately owned lines will not be marked
- Make sure that the property address is visible for crew to locate the excavation site
When you call in be prepared to provide:
- Name, phone number, alternate contact
- Excavator/contact person and phone number
- Address, city, county and nearest intersection of the dig site
- Reason for the digging
- Where on the property you need locate marking done
- How you have the dig area identified (white paint is preferred)
- Specific directions to your property — landmarks, etc.
Call 811 or one of the following numbers:
In Lincoln County, Montana dial (800) 551-8344.
In Sanders County, Montana dial (800) 424-5555 or use the Montana One Call website.
In Bonners or Bounday Counties, Idaho dial (800) 626-4950 or use this website.
In Kootenai County, Idaho dial (800) 428-4950 or use this website.
In Pend Oreille County, Washington dial (800) 424-5555 or use the Washington One Call website.
- All digging within the first 24 inches from the marked line must be done by hand
- Any contact with an electric line can cause serious injury or death
- Damages to electric lines can disrupt service to an entire area and can result in fines and repair costs
If your excavation contacts the electric line, stay clear and call the numbers below immediately
Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm
Evenings, weekends, and holidays